Thai Fisherman Pants
This is the complete collection of posts from my blog on the TFP saga.  Click any of the pictures to see larger versions.



Thai Fisherman Pants Pattern Journey
This is the combination of three posts on these pants, ending with a great pattern, and some instructions to hopefully make it a little easier for you to make. (click pic to view).

The Original Pattern
This original pattern was really just a series of measurements from mediathinker and the pattern (click here)  They did not turn out like I wanted (or had envisioned) so off I took to find the perfect Thai fisherman pant pattern.  The mediathinker pattern is a good basic pattern, but I was after more style and felt the design had great potential.  Sometimes you get what you cut and sometimes simple is just that - too simple and no line or style to it. 

The Burda Pattern
This is the sketch for the Burda pattern for TFP (download here - it costs $2.50 and worth every penny), and it's not only the best one out there, but has great line and style.  When you're dealing with a simple design - every little flaw (including the cut) is a glaring mistake!

Burda layout
I had a lot of problems with this layout, and finally made up my own (below).  It's just a little difficult to explain, however you cut one piece as if it were two right sides, which sounds really wrong, but it is the right way to make the pants.

Much easier view
Here's a much easier view...what you have to remember is to lay out each piece (including those you cut twice) ALL of them on the right side.
Here's the technical layout
You can see how you turn the crotch/pants piece so that you are cutting what appears to be two pieces of the same side!  Hope this is less confusing with the graphic (remember click the picture to the left and it will take you to a larger version).NOTE:  The technique here is not to cut one and then another cut two pieces with the pattern piece right side up on the right side of the fabric.  That sounds like you're cutting two right sides, but you're actually not.  It works out.
Final post
This pattern really made up well and has a lot of style and great lines considering the pieces.  I tried two different closure techniques - one with buttons (ho hum - not my fav), and this one with a great tie and then tucked in to the belt at waist.
One of the fun things about Burda is the variations that abound on that site from not only the managers of the site but from participants as well.  Here's the site where you can download the pattern, but this one has some interesting variations as you scroll down....browse around and make your own!
After working with and wrapping this a number of times, I like the way the Burda pattern ties and lays....this is more that authentic Japanese Samurai  pant look.  It's more in keeping with the style of the pattern and line of the cut.

I folded the sides so that they meet in center front.  Click the photo to the left to get a better view of the folds.   The next thing is you can't get too picky about the fold of the upper waist - let it just flop and it will be fine!